When I gave my mom, sisters and best friend access to my closet and complete autonomy over the outfits I would wear for the month, I didn’t go into the challenge with a lot of expectations. As I reflect on the last 30 days of new styles and fashion related adventures, I really enjoyed the experience and recommend it to others who want to see their clothes in a different way. Here are my biggest takeaways and discoveries from the month…
- Break up the Routine- My inspiration for this challenge stemmed from boredom. At the start of this challenge, my clothes bored me and I was always circulating through the same 10 or so outfits. Having new eyes to carefully examine the clothes I look at everyday was a fantastic way to revitalize a seemingly boring closet.
- Mix it Up! I have items in my closet that for one reason or another always get paired together. Admittedly, there isn’t really anything wrong with the pairings but they are also not very inspired. However, when my ‘special stylists’ saw these seem items- a pink striped cardigan, a brown tank top, a hounds-tooth sweater– all of the sudden they found new combinations I never would have thought of on my own.
- Pay Attention to the Details- It was really fun watching each of my ‘stylists’ take great detail combing through my closet, each harping on their own details that I personally had never really thought about. My sister really focused on what items provided the best overall palette while my best friend chose combinations that provided the best way to showcase complimenting colors.
- Revitalize Rarely Used Clothes- I have a gray pencil skirt that I have owned for years and have never really worn. My reasoning has always been that it doesn’t seem like me. My ‘stylists’ selected several outfits that featured this skirt and it pushed me outside of my fashion comfort zone.
- Re-evaluate What You Have- This challenge also revealed the clothes that I should probably say goodbye to. Having people look through your closet is pretty revealing, and over the years, I have developed blind spots to the clothes that I know don’t fit, look weird or that I just don’t like anymore. Having people less familiar with the backstory of my clothes revealed the clothes I no longer need to hold on to… Looking at you: acid-washed jeans, dress that I last wore 10 years ago and layered tank top.
- Accessorize! If I thought my clothes were boring prior to this challenge my accessories were even less imagined and creative. Perhaps the single biggest takeaway from this whole experience is how the right necklace or set of earrings can change an outfit.
Overall Challenge Enjoyment: 4 new necklaces and an infinity scarf (I have no idea what that means, but I liked the challenge a lot).
Would I Do This Again? YES! Just need some new willing stylists. 🙂
[…] I opened my closet up to the Styling of Others I had no expectations for what would happen. This was a fun and enjoyable challenge because it let […]