I spent 21 days on the Paleo Diet. It was somehow both easier and more challenging than I had expected it to be. Here is an overview of my experience and some of the key discoveries I made by going Paleo.
- It was not nearly as limiting as I expected! I was pleasantly surprised how diverse my grocery cart and meals were every week.
- My culinary creativity expanded! I made things I never would think to make in my pre-Paleo diet. It was exciting to try new things- from snacks like clementines dipped in dark chocolate and almond slices, to vegetables like roasted cabbage and main dishes like sauteed shrimp and pork chops.
- I felt substantially healthier.
- My wallet shrunk more than my waistline. Eating fresh fruits, vegetables and lean proteins was not cheap! I found myself spending a lot more money than what I expected.
- Eating out was not easy. While eating at home was pretty manageable, eating out anywhere felt like a multi-phased balancing act. I tried to plan ahead when I knew I would be eating out but reading through menus was a frustrating reminder of all the delicious breads, pastas and other foods I was avoiding.
Overall Challenge Enjoyment: 7/10. I enjoyed the food I ate but it felt limiting to stay perfectly within the paleo guidelines.
Success in Completing Challenge: B. I had a few slips: croutons in my salad, a piece of bread, a sandwich but overall I felt pleased with my commitment.
Likelihood in Continuing Challenge: Moderate (but with some allowances)